Community

The Crave for Praise: Carnal or Spiritual?

writing, wall, woman-533232.jpg

Jesus tells us if we do things for the praise of men, we have our rewards, but if we do something for His glory, we have eternal rewards. With that in mind, it seems evident that desiring to be praised is carnal. That’s what I would have said a few weeks ago before I had an epiphany.

champions, award, trophy-1411861.jpg

I love it when the New Year begins with a new understanding of the Lord and how He designs us. Every January, the church I serve celebrates our partners in the gospel (missionaries). Each Sunday, we have a different guest challenge us from the pulpit on some aspect of the Great Commission. This year author Elliot Clark was one of our speakers. Our theme was Counting the Cost, but Elliot challenged us to go beyond the cost and count the reward as he expounded on 2 Corinthians 1:12-14.

In this passage, Paul tells the Corinthian church that in the day of the Lord Jesus, there will be a time of boasting about one another. To put it another way, we’ll have an Atta-Boy party. I’ll thank God for my friend Judy’s faithfulness in sharing the gospel with me. Hopefully someone will thank God for my obedience to write because something I wrote helped them in their faith. But any praise we receive will be for God’s glory, not because we seek recognition from people. God made us in His image, and by His grace, the good works He appoints us to do are praiseworthy.

thank you, thank you card, table-3690116.jpg

Later in 2 Corinthians chpater nine, Paul praises their generous giving and tells the Corinthians he thanks God for them. In Romans 13:7 nkjv, Paul writes, “Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor” (italics mine). Owing honor means more than honoring a position. We honor great writers with Pulitzer prizes. We honor brave soldiers with medals and Super Bowl-winning teams with parades.

girl, medal, happy-958409.jpg

It’s appropriate to honor hardworking, faithful people. It’s good to say, “Congratulations on a job well done!” In Hebrews 11 the Word of God praises the righteous works of faithful men and women; that’s why this chapter is known as the Hall of Faith..

The fact that people appreciate receiving thank yous and accolades emanates from the fact that God made us as His image bearers. He takes great joy in our praise of one another.

smartphone, hand, photomontage-1445489.jpg

However, sin corupts every godly quality with a dark side. Take, for instance, perseverance and stubbornness. It’s the same quality; the only difference is whose will you are bent on doing. The only difference between people-pleasing and pleasing God is whose praise you want. Do you want the kind with an expiration date¾the recognition of men? Or would you instead seek God’s glory and receive the praise of God and all His children for all eternity? I know Whose glory I’m aiming for, and it isn’t mine. Or is it?

God praises His children. I want to hear my Heavenly Father say, “Well done, faithful Daughter. Well done!” His glory is our glory.

By the way, thank you for spending time with me here. I hope you find encouraging words of life in what I write. I hope you see the truth of Jesus more clearly. Keep going for His gold!

crown, sparkly, royal-7723045.jpg

The Importance of Redeeming Pegan Symbols

glasnevin, dublin, ireland-2696787.jpg

St. Patrick’s Day is Just 10 Days Away !

Before humans wrote—they drew—the quest to express and record thoughts in visual form launched early. The first written languages consisted of symbols, not letters. Early Egyptian hieroglyphics and Chinese manuscripts bear witness; the written Chinese language utilizes characters representing words. With over 50,000 characters (an educated Chinese person knows about 8,000), it’s a complicated language entirely based on symbols. Even in an age of prolific literacy, art remains full of symbolism. Symbolism helps us see and learn beyond letters.

Christians have a long history of redeeming symbolism. We tell stories and teach Biblical truth through symbols. The Lord instituted Passover, and the shedding of a spotless lamb’s blood pictured the Messiah’s redemptive work on the cross.

The Apostal Paul in Athens pointed to the monument erected to the unknown God and made the One True God known. Imagine the challenge of teaching illiterate people in ways they can see. Symbolism does that. We use symbols, like the colors in the wordless book, to teach preschoolers.

christmas tree, holiday, season-6895765.jpg

We use evergreen Christmas trees to teach them about everlasting life.

St. Patric used shamrocks to teach the triune nature of God. He also pointed to an ancient Irish symbol for eternity, the circle (also representative of the sun), and taught the eternal nature of the true Son of God—Jesus—the Light of the World. The early Christians in Ireland redeemed Celtic knots to decorate crosses. They created trinity knots to expand the teaching of good theology.

irish, st patrick's day, ireland-844930.jpg

As St. Patrick’s Day decorations fill our communities this year, let’s be mindful and ready to talk to others about the rich Christian heritage symbolized in so many of them. St. Patrick spent his life in Ireland making disciples; using the decorations around us to do the same seems like a great way to honor him and celebrate the holiday. Let’s redeem a day that has devolved into drunken parties and share the message of salvation with those around us

. “In the knowledge of this faith in the Trinity, and without letting the dangers prevent it, it is right to make known the gift of God and his eternal consolation.” St. Patrick

Humili*Tea: Serving a Second Cuppa

/(h)yo͞oˈmilədē/ noun: 1. a modest opinion of one’s own importance, 2. an absence of pride or self-assertion, 3. To accept, with gratitude, a cup of coffee when you’d prefer tea (or vice versa. Teri’s 2022 definition), 4. The cup of tea you drink after you’ve acquired the taste for humble pie (Teri’s 2023 definition).

apple pie, tea, dessert-5195808.jpg

Happy National Be Humble Day!

(celebrated every year on February 22nd)

I confess I suffer from the self-inflicted wounds of pride. I confess my pride injures those around me. That’s why humility may become an annual tea party on my website in February. God loves me and has dished me up slices of humble pie in so many flavors that God’s recipes make Baskin Robins look like a vanilla ice cream shop. And by His grace, I’ve acquired a taste for this painful pastry that most people detest.

Through God’s chastening, patience, and love, I have learned to embrace the things that keep my pride in check. Have you?

The canyon between humility and humiliation spans the distance between Heaven and hell. These two things are polar opposites. Humiliation is the awful feeling of shame and failure. It is God’s great blow to the arrogant (Psalm 119:21). God humiliates the proud. When He does, there are two responses: sparks of anger, self-justification, and retaliation or contrition and repentance, which is God’s preferred result. God humiliates to produce humility.

Humility, on the other hand, reveals the confidence of the righteous. Humility receives correction with gratitude (Proverbs 12:1 & 15:10). It secures a believer in the fact that God works all things—even humiliating things—for our good. It is the confidence that every trial perfects our patience and equips us to serve others more effectively.

Humiliation may lead to humility, but it is not the same thing. To feel humiliated and never humbled creates a living hell for the arrogant and everyone around them.

Humility knows there are no second-class saints; they don’t view other sinners as less than or unworthy of compassion. The humble realize the seed for every sin rests in their soul; like St. Paul, they claim they are the chief of all sinners ( 1 Timothy 1:15). Christ displayed perfect humility when He laid down His life for us (Romans 5:8).

The humble make peace. The humiliated stir up strife with anger (Proverbs 15:18).

Do we feel humbled or humiliated by degrading circumstances or admonishment? Trust me, if you don’t learn to enjoy humble pie, our Father will keep serving you slices in unending flavors. Take these lessons to heart on Be Humble Day. Let’s not eat any more humble pie than we have to.

pray, girl, kneeling-31662.jpg

To feel humiliated is human.

To be humbled is divine.

Fideli*Tea

tea, tea drinking, glassware-1771369.jpg

Happy True to Valentine’s Day

fi*del*i*Tea /fəˈdelədē/ n. 1.faithfulness to a person, cause, or belief, demonstrated by continuing loyalty and support, 2. sexual faithfulness to a spouse or partner, 3. Drinking only variations of Camellia sinensis (white tea, black tea, green tea, and oolong are variations of the actual tea plant. Camomile, hibiscus, mint, or any other herb are not).

Some people enjoy celebrating Valentine’s Day; others loathe it. The world drowns in the tears of jaded lovers and betrayed spouses. Broken homes and single parents leave children rattled and wondering if there’s any such thing as true love, the kind that doesn’t cheat and abandon us.

Just forty-four years before Constantine legalized Christianity, the previous emperor of Rome, Claudius Gothicus (Claudius II), ordered the execution of Saint Valentine on February 14, 269. What incited the wrath of Claudius II? Valentine’s fidelity to Jesus. Valentine refused to quit evangelizing. Tradition also credits him with the marriages of Christians during a time when Christians were denied the right to marriage by Rome.

Valentine knew God’s faithful love and willingly laid down his life to remain faithful to the Christ who died to save us all. Maybe you’re a jaded lover or a betrayed spouse. Perhaps you’re a lonely single who hates Valentine’s Day because you find yourself yet again without a beau. But let me encourage you in the reality of Who Jesus is. He is love (1 John 4:8). He is Semper Fidelis (Latin for always faithful). Jesus will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).

This year let’s show our fidelity to the Lord by embracing Saint Valentine’s spirit of sharing the love of Christ with others. Let’s get a good Gospel pedicure and bring good news to those around us who are desperate for God’s forgiveness and love.

feet, toes, nail polish-7861.jpg

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news,
Who proclaims peace,
Who brings glad tidings of good things,
Who proclaims salvation,
Who says to Zion,
“Your God reigns!” Isaiah 52:7

It’s nice to enjoy romance on Valentine’s Day, but it’s really not about that. We celebrate Valentine (the saint) because he displayed fidelity; that’s worth celebrating.

book, pages, book page-3996723.jpg

Let’s enjoy celebrating God’s love and faithfulness. Who could you send a Gospel-laced Valentine to this year?

The Joys of keeping Covenant

I Do Means I Only Do You, and You Only Do Me

`till Death Do Us Part.

Two days ago, my husband and I marked the forty-year milestone in our marriage—a ruby anniversary. That’s right; the 40th anniversary is the ruby anniversary. I wonder if that makes me a real-life Proverbs 31 woman. After forty years of marriage, am I worth more than rubies? Our anniversary celebration brought back bitter-sweet memories of planning a surprise party for my parents’ 40th in 2000, twenty-three years ago.

My parents, David and Janet Donaldson, May 2000.

I’m so thankful God put it on my heart to do this for them. I called all their friends and relatives from across the country and invited everyone. I asked those who couldn’t come to please send a card. My folks had no idea what I’d been up to. The looks on their faces were priceless. My parents never celebrated a 50th. My dad passed away six years later at the age of 67. So young!

My husband turned 67 a few months ago. We realize life comes with no guarantees, so we threw a big ruby bash with a 1940s ruby slipper vibe. We’ve spent the last decade living in Kansas, and no doubt my “red shoes encouraged, but not required” personal comment to family members and a few friends met Dorothy’s approval.

My middle daughter gifted me with a stunning, custom-designed red satin dress. I had been looking online for a new affordable dress, and she said, “No, Mom. It’s like a second wedding dress. I want it to be special.”

More remarkable than her expensive present was the clean feeling of fidelity my husband and I share. I did not wear white to our wedding forty years ago because the chastity it symbolizes was not mine to give. I didn’t come to Jesus as a virgin and would not misrepresent myself in a covenant ceremony. By God’s grace, I am a chaste bride.

Celebrating our 25th anniversary, I wore a white and silver top. All of our children were single in 2008.

While wearing this “second wedding dress” brings me joy, honesty brings me even greater pleasure. My husband and I speak honestly and openly about our sexual relationship. It was not always that way. We both carried baggage into our marital bed; most people do. Even virgins can struggle to find or give marital pleasure to one another. If only we were honest! We could learn to cry and pray with our spouses as we work out these difficulties. Bill and I learned to do that, and you can too!

Celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in forties fashion!

Then there’s the joy of holiness. Chaste couples enjoy the pleasure of worship in their marriage bed. God intended sexual intimacy between a husband and wife to culminate in fireworks and out-of-body ecstasy. It may not happen every time, but when it does, my hubby and I are not the only ones saying, “That was good!” The Lord declares, “It is good,” too.

Intimacy creates a safe place to find joy. To share yourself, and expose yourself unashamed with the only person you trust implicitly for a lifetime, satisfies a soul more than the world’s cheap imitation.

Our bodies change over time; we will never be as firm and attractive as we were in our 20s and 30s. Fidelity develops a more profound attraction over time. The covenant commitment makes wrinkles appear softer, flab appear firmer, and even sag seems sumptuous. Fidelity in lifelong matrimony is magic, sheer miraculous joy!

Bill and Teri with their youngest two grandbabies.

Let’s keep our vows. Let’s live in the joy of fidelity God intends for us. It’s not easy, and sometimes we need help. Bill and I sought counseling when we sometimes struggled to be mutually satisfied in our marriage bed.

If you are struggling in your marriage, seek godly Biblical counseling. Let someone help you and your husband learn to enjoy what God intended for your pleasure. And if you or your spouse have violated your covenant through adultery, don’t despair. I repeat. Do. Not. Despair! Our God provides forgiveness and restoration. He pursues His unfaithful bride. The Lord even called the prophet Hosea to marry the prostitute, Gomer, to illustrate His unfailing love and forgiveness. By God’s grace, He restores even the most hopeless relationships and helps us forgive sins that seem unforgivable.

It is a new year. Let’s celebrate with a renewed commitment to fidelity.

If you’re struggling and want me to pray confidentially for you, please email me at [email protected].

Lord, let the wonder of Your unfailing love shine into a world that desperately needs to understand the joys of staying married. Let our marriages reflect the beauty of our covenant-keeping Savior.

Mothers of The Messiah

christmas, crib, barn-1010749.jpg

Jesus had Grandmothers too!

I remember my grandpa reading through the Bible at dinner time. “And So and So begot Whose It, and Whose It begot What’s His Name . . .” His idle attempt to read the text without pronouncing names made us chuckle. But as a mature believer, I’ve discovered a gold mine in these genealogies. The Gospel of Mathew begins with the ancestry of Jesus.

I delight in reading and reflecting on this portion of Scripture at Christmas time. In the first five verses, three of Jesus’ “mothers” are named: Tamar, Rahab, and Ruth. Through these women, God built the household of King David and our Savior. Their stories remind us not everyone is born into a family of faith. Their lives reveal God’s redemption—bringing them into Christ. Their testimonies encourage us, as God’s people, to be mindful of our relationships with the lost.

Tamar ~ neglected by God’s people

Tamar experienced the neglect of God’s chosen people. Judah failed to give his twice-widowed daughter-in-law in marriage to his third son. Judah blamed Tamar for the death of his two older sons. He feared that his third son would die too if he gave her to him as a wife. He failed to keep his promise to care for her. However, God did not fail her.

Tamar knew justice required Judah to give her a son. Tamar understood what Judah owed her and took bold measures to secure her future. God honored her risqué attempt to raise an heir to Judah. The Lord vindicated Tamar with twins—a replacement for both of Judah’s boys.

Consider your present circumstances. As God’s child, are you neglecting to keep a promise you’ve made as Judah did? If so, this is the perfect time to repent and give what you promised. Is God waiting for you to take a bold step of faith like Tamar and claim His promises? Do! God will bless your effort.

Rahab ~ walled off from God’s people

Next, we find Rahab, a pagan prostitute, separated from God’s people by the walls of Jericho. The Lord loved her and sent two spies from Israel to her. She trusted God and sheltered them. As a result, Rahab received the security of a promise kept. By faith, she tied a red thread to her window as the spies instructed her to do. The scarlet strand signaled Israel’s armies to spare her and those under her roof.

face woman, graffiti, grunge-3514196.jpg

Have we ventured far enough into enemy territory to bring in those walled off by the world? Let’s be willing to share the good news of Jesus’s first advent with those held captive behind the gates of Hell.

Ruth ~ estranged from God’s people

After Rahab, we come to Ruth. She originated in Moab. Moab began as the descendants of “righteous” Lot, but by the time Israel came into the Promised land, the Moabites had forgotten their relationship with Abraham. These people were estranged from each other.

jesus, god, christ-4929681.jpg

The Moabites refused to feed their hungry relatives. Ironically, Naomi’s family went looking for bread in Moab during a famine in Israel. After Naomi’s husband died, her sons married Moabite women. Ruth became her daughter-in-law. Then Ruth’s husband dies. Ruth (whose name means friend) commits to caring for Naomi. Naomi needed Ruth’s friendship, and Ruth needed to return to the blessings of God’s people. Naomi (whose name means pleasant) attracted Ruth to return to Israel. Does our countenance attract those turned off by the church? Ruth was faithful to her family. Are we devoted to our church family by caring for each of them?

puzzle piece, child, abandoned-1251618.jpg

I’m thankful the Lord pieced these women into His family. It reminds me that when I was lost, Jesus brought me in too!

As we read through the genealogy of Jesus’s female ancestors, may God inspire us with their examples this Christmas. Let’s pay attention to the neglected, walled-off, and estranged souls around us. Let’s remember why God sent His Son into the world this Christmas. Like God, let’s intentionally bring outsiders into our celebrations.

“And Jesus said to him, “. . . the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Luke 19:9 – 10

advent, star, christmas-192153.jpg

Hunting for the Best Gifts: 21 gift ideas for the person Who has everything

Will she like that?

I watched my grandma snatch the blouse from my mom’s hands and head straight to the cash register (Grandma was in her nineties and my mom in her seventies when I witnessed this incident). She had seen my mom admire it and try it on. It looked lovely, and Grandma knew Mom would buy it. So, she beat her to it, securing a perfect gift.

We moms never outgrow wanting to lavish our children with gifts. As we enter the thick of the gift-giving season, many of us struggle with the dilemma of procuring the perfect gifts for those we love. Shopping for parents baffles us, especially if they’re downsizing. Those who have adult children with good-paying jobs find themselves in the same dilemma; what we can give that they haven’t already purchased for themselves. What do we get those that already have all they want or need?

Everyone (but God) Needs Something

Most of us feel like we’re drowning in stuff, but our spirits are thirsty. Our parched souls crave quality time with those we love. Maybe a cleared space on our calendar would be a perfect gift? The world mocks and slanders us. Maybe some encouraging words are what we need to give.

God gives us richly all things to enjoy (1 Timothy 6:17), but much of what He provides is not material. He gives strength, hope, and a listening ear. We, too, can furnish these perfect gifts. To help my children, I’m submitting my wish list.

Twenty-one Things My Children Could Give me this Christmas

I want to open my door and find you there.

2. Open a letter and hear your voice inscribed on a piece of paper I won’t throw away.

3. I need your acts of kindness like cooking and cleaning when my house is full of people.

4. Oh, and how I need your forgiveness when I let anxiety get the better of me and the stress monster bites you with mean words.

5. I want to listen to your jokes and laugh with you (even if we’re both laughing at me).

laughter, laugh, fun-775062.jpg

6. I would enjoy you brushing my hair as we watch all the activities around us.

7. I would appreciate less stuff when you leave. Ask for things you could use or want to display or wear. I’d prefer you take these things when they serve you well rather than burden you after I’m gone.

8. I would love to take a walk with you, just the two of us taking a leisurely stroll.

9. I enjoy adventures, going places we’ve never seen before.

10. Experiences make delightful gifts! Concerts, museums, shows, even a project we can do together.11.

11. I want my stocking stuffed with I love you notes instead of trinkets that waste away.

paper, love, writing-3215196.jpg

12. I need honest words that confront my sin and invite me to be better.

13. Texts throughout the year, please tell me what’s new with you.

14. Pictures of you and your children always make me smile (digital is fine).

15. Consumable presents like things you bake or a meal you make would be divine.

16. Love and discipline your children well for me, gifting me with grandkids that know right from wrong.

17. I delight to see your growth in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Share your testimonies of God’s faithfulness with me. Share what you discover as you read the Bible.

18. Gift me with a song. Sing with me, grace me with a performance (one year my oldest taught her children my favorite Christmas carol, a gift I’ll never forget!) or send me a music video you think I’d like.

happy, fun, kids-3046565.jpg

19. Reminisce with me. Share your favorite memories of childhood. You could even write it out (again, a paper I won’t throw away).

20. Teach me something new like a recipe or helpful technology tip.

21. Pray for me, asks about my needs, and trust the perfect Gift Giver to provide what you cannot.

Giving the Perfect Gifts

In light of what I desire, I realize my friends and family may need these too. Maybe I need to buy less and sacrifice more. The best gifts require time and effort both tend to be more costly than the money we budget for material things. The best gifts nourish us. The best gifts make us better. The best gifts never lose their value or wear out. May God show us how to give lasting treasure the kind moth and rust does not corrupt, and thieves can never steal.

motherhood, love, care-6875079.jpg

A Thanksgiving Story

An Excerpt from Choose Now to Grow Grand, Not Old by Teri Gasser. Book on SALE now on Amazon for 33% OFF until November 26th!

Both of my grandmothers exercised wisdom when it came time to downsize and make a final move to be near family. However, only one seemed to take full advantage of the new possibilities. One event during a family gathering illustrates it best. It happened after our second Thanksgiving meal together.

I had spent much time and prayer preparing an activity for after the family feast. I wanted to facilitate a fun time of interaction between my mom, grandmas, and four children. Making gingerbread houses struck me as the perfect project, a sweet way to work together and prepare decorations for Christmas. I baked enough walls and roofs for four houses, one for my folks, one for each of my grandmothers to take home, and one for our house. Each of my kids paired up with a grandma, except Jenni. She got stuck with her mom, yours truly. It seemed to be going just as planned. I have pictures of everyone smiling. We licked frosted fingers and nibbled on candy, laughing and having a wonderful time. Then, when Anna and Grandma Erma finished basic construction and started decorating the outside of their house, Erma left the table. She went to the living room and sat in an easy chair.

(My grandma Erma with my daughter Anna)

Maybe she felt tired or bored. Maybe. Or maybe she didn’t like working with a twelve-year-old. Maybe my daughter and Erma had different ideas about decorating. We will never know because she never excused herself or explained why she left the table. Later, when the projects were complete, we took pictures. Erma refused to come and have her photo taken with Anna. My mom felt so sorry for Anna. To top it off, when it came time to send the gingerbread house home with Erma, she flat-out refused the gift—the gift I had prayed about and spent so much time and money preparing, the gift she worked on with her great-granddaughter. My grandma rejected a present intended to bring Christmas cheer to her home.

“Oh, no, you take it home,” she told me as I offered to take it to her car as she was leaving.

“But Grandma, we already have one,” I explained again.

“Well, Anna can put it in her room. I’d rather not have it, thank you.”

Ouch. I cannot judge Erma’s motives. I’ve already shared a few speculations. I can tell you her actions and words put a damper on the day. We never made gingerbread houses together again. Oh, my kids and I did, and sometimes my mom and Grandma Irène joined us, but not Erma. It never became a Thanksgiving tradition.

On the other hand, Grandma Irène paired up with my youngest, seven-year-old Jon. She kept that gingerbread house displayed in her apartment year-round for several years and bragged about it to everyone. That’s gratitude at its best!

God bless you as you celebrate Thanksgiving in a grand way!

Gratui*Tea

Welcome to Tea Time!

Tea Time is a quarterly (February, May, August, and November) reflection on various qualties.

gra*tu*i*tea /ɡrəˈt(y)o͞oədē/ noun 1. something given voluntarily or beyond obligation, usually for some service like being served tea then helping your hostess wash cups, or slipping a teabag into a thank you note.

As I sip and savor tea steeped from that surprise tea bag I found in a thank you note, I taste tangible evidence of my sweet friend’s appreciation. When we enjoy our favorite drinks at our local coffee shops, leaving the baristas a gratuity proves our thankfulness for their service.

Did you know God instituted suggested gratuities into the sacrificial system of the Law? He calls them thanksgiving sacrifices. Like tipping a waiter, these sacrifices were to be voluntary, “of your own free will.” Yet there is a clear expectation that if God’s people are thankful for His salvation, they will give above and beyond what’s required.

thanksgiving, fall, pumpkin-2903166.jpg

Do we? When God provides for us in a big way, do we use a portion of His gift to bless others? As we enter this season of Thanksgiving, let’s turn gratitude into more than lip service. Let’s give generously. Let’s share our abundance with those who serve us at church.

“Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches.” Galatians 6:6

Let’s show our gratitude to Jehovah-Jirah by using what He’s given us to provide for the needs of brothers and sisters in the faith.

“Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.” Hebrews 13:15 – 16

Then we can continue giving gratuities to the Lord by providing for the poor beyond our church walls. Jesus reminds us, “The poor you have with you always” (Matthew 26:11), and the apostle Paul wrote, “that we should remember the poor” (Galatians 2:10).

ask for alms, villager, africa-1742502.jpg

How might our celebration of Thanksgiving impact our neighborhood if our celebration extended beyond a Thanksgiving meal? Wouldn’t flooding our communities throughout the year with outpourings of generosity glorify God more than an annual feast and statements of thanks? We could tip beyond 20% and include a Gospel tract (I’ve heard more than one waitress complain about the stingy after church crowd). Let’s not be them. We might make purchasing an item for our local food bank a regular part of our grocery shopping.

“It is good to give thanks to the Lord.” It’s even better when we confirm our appreciation with a gratuity.

Abba, we praise You for Your generosity towards us. We ask that You open our eyes to tangible gratuities we can leave in Jesus’s name throughout the year.

thanksgiving, cornucopia, fruit-3719247.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!

Grow Grand, Get Rich!

money, coin, investment-2724241.jpg

Choose True Wealth

An excerpt from Teri’s new book Choose Now to Grow Grand, Not Old on SALE now for 50% off until October 31st!

The love we give to others, the influence for good we have in another’s life, and the deep, meaningful friendships we make by investing and taking an interest in people; this is the wealth I want to accumulate. It means I must be aware of the people around me and learn to anticipate their needs. It means I need to make an effort to remember names. It amazes me how a stranger serving me responds with delight when I read their name tag and address them by name. We all long for appreciation as an individual who matters. When we choose to learn someone’s name, it speaks volumes to them. I discovered this when Bill and I came to Grace Baptist Church.

Before moving to Kansas, I got a copy of the church’s picture directory and began studying it. I looked at the faces of people I’d never met and prayed for each one by name. The Lord blessed that effort. Over and over again, different members of Grace shared their surprise at how quickly Bill and I remembered their names. They were impressed with how many other people we remembered and knew. All I can say is that I made a small effort, but God multiplied the results. He gets the glory!

parcel, to you, ribbon-1619764.jpg

God reveals His heart for people by knowing the number of hairs on our heads and knitting each one of us in our mother’s womb. By declaring us His image-bearers, He valued people above all other created beings. The Lord deems us worthy of a priceless redemption bought by the blood of Christ. He paid top dollar for broken merchandise. Now, if that doesn’t make us feel loved, nothing will. And if that doesn’t motivate us to see the value of others, nothing else can. Since God finds people that worthwhile, shouldn’t we? Simple practices like remembering birthdays, favorite colors, and food preferences honor people. Understanding their goals, sorrows, and fears reveals how much we value them. Relationships—thriving, loving relationships—make us truly wealthy.

Let’s grow grand in our relationships by accumulating friends and investing in people. Let’s not be misers when it comes to being generous with people. Let’s get really rich!

handshake, agreement, trade-3100563.jpg